When was the last time you saw your primary care provider (PCP)? A checkup can help ensure that you stay healthy. Here are five reasons to schedule one:
- Your medical records will be current. Your medical history—including your family medical history—changes over time, and this may affect your risk of developing conditions like stroke, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
- You can stay up-to-date on specialized exams. Your doctor can notify you about screenings you’re due for, such as eye exams, mammograms, and other tests. You can schedule them at your checkup.
- You’ll get a look inside your body. Some potentially serious conditions, like high blood pressure, may produce no symptoms. At a checkup, your doctor will check your blood pressure and do other exams that may alert you to hidden health conditions.
- You’ll stay up-to-date on vaccines. Regular immunizations aren’t just for kids—they’re for adults, too.
- You’ll be able to have conditions treated. Minor or annoying symptoms may signal a bigger health issue. Your PCP can diagnose and address the problem before it gets worse.
Your Shot Schedule
What vaccines do you need? Look at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s schedule and share it with your PCP. Visit www.cdc.gov and search for “adult vaccine schedule.”
© 2000-2019 StayWell, 780 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional’s instructions.