A crunchy rice dish that’s low on fat and sodium but high on flavor!
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 40 minutes
Yields 10 servings
Serving Size ½ C
1½ C water
1 C chicken stock or broth; skim fat from the top
1⅓ C uncooked long-grain white rice
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
1 C finely chopped celery
2 Tbsp finely chopped green pepper
½ C chopped pecans
¼ tsp ground sage
½ C sliced water chestnuts
¼ tsp nutmeg
Ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring water and chicken stock to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add rice and stir. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Sauté the onion and celery over moderate heat for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients, including reserved cooked rice.
- Fluff with a fork before serving.
Eat real food! Enjoy this real food recipe and many others from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; National Institutes of Health; U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Recipe Source: Stay Young At Heart